Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Monday, March 3, 2008

Rei's Limited Edition Bread

Various Bread
Hmm.. why do I name it so?? Coz everyone has different taste in the family and I can only make 12 portions of bread at a time. Thus, when I want to experiment with new flavours, I can only make 4 pieces of bread for each flavour.

I started out baking bread only last year. Along the way, I made super hard bread, yeasty bread and bread which refuses to rise. Not to forget that I even broke 1 dough hook. I am too lazy to use man-power a.k.a. my flabby arms, so I bought another mixer. I deviced a way so that I will not fry my mixer. Through lots of trial and error and feedbacks from various 'willing' testers, I modified the Basic Sweet Bun dough recipe by Alex Goh. It worked well for me and I hope it works for you too. For health reasons, I reduced the amount of sugar used. I have also replaced butter with corn oil. However, the texture is not being compromised. The bread is soft and fluffy.

X sect Bread

The following recipe is just a basic. You can add fillings, toppings, etc., to it. The possibilities are endless, just use your imagination.

X sect Laksa Bread Multi-grain bread

Without further ado, I present you my basic bread recipe.

Ingredients A
200g bread flour
100g plain flour
40g brown sugar
½ sachet instant yeast (1 sachet 11g)
1 tsp bread improver
1 tbsp milk powder
1 tbsp soy flour
4 tbsp wholemeal flour

Ingredients B
180ml chilled water
1 egg (lightly beaten add into water)

Ingredients C
50ml corn oil
1 pinch salt

Some butter to grease the pan
Some flour to dust

Method (Based on using Philip Cucina Mixer)
1) Mix (A) with spatula in the mixing bowl. Use dough hook for mixer. Turn on mixer (speed 1) and add in (B) gradually. Beat for about 5 mins at speed 3.

2) Rest the machine for 5 mins. Meantime, knead the dough in the bowl (wear plastic gloves). Turn the machine (speed 3) on for about 3 minutes.

3) Rest machine again while you add corn oil. Use the spatula to incorporate most of the oil into the dough (or else the oil will splatter when you turn on the mixer). Turn on the mixer (speed 3) and add salt. Beat for another 5 minutes.

4) Do stretch test by pinching the dough. It should be able to form a thin membrane before breaking.

5) Cover the bowl with cling wrap and leave in a warm place for first proving for about an hour. Meantime, grease the pan. To check if first proving is complete, put some flour on your finger and press into the dough. The hole should hold its shape.

6) Take out the dough and transfer to a slightly floured surface. The dough should weight about 650g. Divide into 12 portions, each estimated about 54~55g, shape into a ball, place onto the greased pan.

7) Let it rise for another hour. Apply egg wash or milk. Bake them at 170 degrees C for 15 minutes.

*Note : I am using a convection oven. For conventional oven, bake at 180 degrees C for 12 to 15 minutes. When you tap the bottom of the bread, it should sound hollow.

**For the above multi-grains, 50g of chopped walnuts is added to the dough. Dab surface of dough with water and roll that suface on the mixed seeds when shaping the dough.

Topping
5 tbsp pumpkin kernels
2 tbsp sunflower kernels
1 ½ tsp black sesame
1 ½ tsp white sesame

じゃね~ ^_^

3 comments:

KWF said...

Rei, how do you think the corn oil will affect the texture? For other recipes, if I want to use corn oil, what should I take note of?

Rei said...

WF, oil or butter helps to increase the elasticity in the gluten. It also helps the bread to stay fluffy. Usually for sweet buns, the percentage of oil content is 10 to 15% of the flour used. If you work out the recipe I have, it is roughly 16.7%, which also works fine. HTH

rgds
Rei

KWF said...

Thanks, rei! Learn sth new again today. :) I'm still wondering why my cream cheese bread would be different with the same amount of butter vs corn oil. I think I'll give up on corn oil...hahaha...